So far, Steve and Jason H. have proposed curriculum ideas for our week at camp. David, Jason R., and I have responded with interpretations of the text and specific illustrations to help with those curriculum ideas.
What I want us to consider is what Frederick Aquino calls a "community of informed judgment." To pick on me for a minute, the interpretations of the text which I have brought forward range from good to mediocre. In some cases, even though the solution I propose might be correct, it is not the only possibility.
In a community of informed judgment, more than one informed point of view is not only desirable, it is necessary. But what does informed mean? Informed by life, informed by training, informed by study, informed by inspiration. Everyone has an informed perspective. A teacher will look at the text one way, a mother another. For example, if a farmer, a politician, a rancher, and a theologian were all to read 1 Sam 6, all of them would most probably find a different point of interest to bring to the table. The same thing is true of reading Joshua (or any other text, biblical or not).
When we discuss our perspectives together, we get the entire picture, not just part of it. Otherwise we risk being like the blind men who are examining the elephant: totally clueless about reality. Together, we can come closer to the truth than we would as individuals (this is why the blog is so important). And that is also why I quote so many other people: in order to bring more people to our table.
Therefore, please see your point of view as being valuable. Please see that your contribution will (not can) make a difference in how all of us see these lessons, and in how all of us might together teach them. Speak up! The process of writing your thoughts in a blog will help clarify your thinking and implant thoughts in your mind that will still be there when you get ready to teach class. After you write, your thinking process continues and ideas will continue to develop (ironic, isn't it?).
I have spent about one hour per day (some days two) over the month-long life of this blog thinking about camp and putting ideas on this blog. I see that as being preparatory work on Steve's foundation for what we're going to do. We have about six weeks to talk about these lessons and prepare our minds and our hearts for the task close to hand. Let's get to work!
One brother with one opinion, longing to be a part of a community of informed judgment,
Ron
02 May, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ron,
I appreciate what you are saying here. It's hard to foster the community you are after when blogging or this sort of forum is difficult or scary for new members. That is not to say that community isn't possible. I have often noticed how sometimes my fellow bloggers are often a close knit cyber community.
You wrote, "When we discuss our perspectives together, we get the entire picture, not just part of it. Otherwise we risk being like the blind men who are examining the elephant: totally clueless about reality. Together, we can come closer to the truth than we would as individuals (this is why the blog is so important). And that is also why I quote so many other people: in order to bring more people to our table."
I couldn't agree with you more. Blogging is important, and is a wonderful enviornment for the free exchange of ideas, to share, and dream.
Don't lose heart my blog brother.
Post a Comment