22 June, 2005

Christology as curriculum

Another possibility is that we might study Jesus for a week as our curriculum.

Sunday: Jesus, completely human

Monday: Jesus, wholly (and holy) God

Tuesday: Jesus and his relationships: with God and with us

Wednesday: Jesus and atonement: (1) covering sacrifice, (2) satisfaction of justice, (3) Christus Victor (Christ victorious over sin), (4) an act of love, (5) new creation.

Thursday: Living a Jesus-centered life

Friday: Jesus and the church

Saturday: Walking with Jesus

Bibliography:
Childers, Jeff W. and Frederick D. Acquino, Unveiling Glory: Visions of Christ's Tranforming Presence, Heart of the Restoration Series, Vol. 3, Douglas Foster, ed.(Abilene: ACU Press, 2003)

Fiddes, Paul S., Past Event and Present Salvation: The Christian Idea of Atonement (Louisville: Westminister/John Knox, 1989).

Lewis, C. S. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (New York: Collier, 1950).

Milligan, Robert. The Scheme of Redemption (St. Louis: Christian Board of Publication, 1869).

Wright, N.T. The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1999)

Yancy, Phillip. The Jesus I Never Knew (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1995).

5 comments:

rkb said...

(1) Who is the real protagonist of Acts? Peter enters, then leaves. Paul makes a late appearance, and fades out at the end, but with definite hints (prolepsis) that the story continues on past Paul's coming physical end at Rome. Other characters zoom past us like signposts (the Ethiopian, Cornelius, Eutychus, and many others). The implied protagonist of this narrative appears in several persons: the Spirit fills the apostles; the Father on his throne is accompanied by his Son before the eyes of the departing Stephen; Paul has a conversation with Jesus (which is reported more than once). So saying that Jesus remains active in the the narrative is fair.

It is also fair to say that we see Christians trying to work out what it means to live a Christ-centered life through the course of this book. So, in a remote way, his hands remain active through the hands of his people.

That being said, I agree in the need for focus. Place the nail, set it, and drive it home (at least that's how they did it before nail guns).

rkb said...

(2) I agree that helping kids understand their giftedness using tools like you mention is a good thing. I also think that we're going to have to bring Ephesians into this discussion also.

rkb said...

(3) Has anyone noticed that when Ron joined the visual hunting gang, that 1 armadillo, 2 rabbits, 1 deer, and 2 campers were found in the course of 1 hour and 15 minutes?

rkb said...

(4) I appreciate all of you who were involved in the blogging as well. I believe that it allowed us to hit camp running, both in terms of work and relationships. Writing will reveal a person's heart if they write deeply or often enough.

What helps all of us is the sharing of a common passion for working with young people, and a mutual hope for our future. Passion focused in a godly direction requires no apology.

rkb said...

I've got the papers back home (I'm traveling through the next couple of days). As soon as I get back, I'll look them up and post them. Some of them were related to critical issues, but a few that I remember are:

(a) the use of possessions
(b) the Holy Spirit
(c) approaches to evangelism