11 May, 2005

Courage = fear + going anyway

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared." -- Eddie Rickenbacker, Bits & Pieces, April 29, 1993, p. 12.

One of my all time favorite films was one of the early NFL greatest hits vidoes. I know, it's cheesy, but as an impressionable adolescent who loved football, this video was better than Nintendo! Anyway, the above qoute was echoed by one of the great linebackers interviewed for the film. He said something to effect that those who are the most courageous are the one's who are afraid, but go anyway. I love that.

How true for our story. God asks us to do a many scary thing for him. Those of us who have answered God's call, though scared, learned something through our faith/border line crazy trust in God's providence.

I can't help but wonder at the beginning of the book of Joshua, how scared and overwhelmed our hero must have felt. I think it must be similar to a new and almost too big to handle opportunity comes our way.

For Jen and I, it was/ is being parents, and then of course moving to Oklahoma. While we not may not have to cross the Jordan during flood stage, we learned to lean on God and His promises through this ordeal.

How comforting for Joshua to have God tell him numerous times, "be strong and courageous." I am sure Joshau was afraid, but he was afraid and carried on anyway.

1 comment:

rkb said...

Or, as the Duke would say, "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne